Thursday, November 8, 2007

Gone the way of the Dodo...

Apparently mah oldest child has decided to stop calling me "Mama". He is now calling me "Mom". Wha? How did that come about? I don't wanna be "Mom". That's what you say when you are a teenager rolling your eyes at something your Mom said. I'm nowhere near ready for that yet! He is not even four! I mean really.

I remember the day we brought him home from the hospital like it was yesterday. I was scared to death. Putting him in his carseat for the first time was a nightmare. It must have taken me ten minutes! Those first few days were a little overwhelming, to say the least.

One of the girls I work with is a new Mom. She is nervous as all get out. Her bebe is beautiful. She asks me questions and I tell her what I did, or what I would do. I don't remember being that nervous, but surely I was! She is a good Mama. Her son is a happy baby.

I like to think that I am a good Mama, too. Both of mah sons are happy and well loved. I love them more than mah own life. Which is as it should be.

But I still don't want to be Mom.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, welcome, MOM. But you can rest assured of this -- when they really, really need you? No matter how old they are? They'll call you mama, or mommy, or whatever they used to call you.

Trust me.

Jenny H. said...

Wordnerd- Thanks! I just can't believe how big they are getting. What happened to my little babies?

Meemo said...

It's these little milestones that make us realize that they're growing up. And we're growing old. But Wordnerd is right, they'll always come back to mommy when the need arises.

Jenny H. said...

Meems- It's a small comfort, but I will gladly take it!

How's the book coming?

Jennifer said...

I've never thought about it, but you're right! "Mom" is what a teenager calls you!

Jenny H. said...

Jennifer aka Binky Bitch- I know! Or Moth-er. But I think that may be just girls!!

The Monkey...

The Monkey...