Monday, July 7, 2008

Smells Like Teen Spirit...

That song came on the radio yesterday. It took me back to my junior/senior year in high school. Shut it. And Chris Wilkinson. My high school boyfriend. Ahh, Chris. Young love and all that rubbish. He was pretty hot though. Dude, he was in a band. All that long hair. H-O-T. At least to a young girl.

It's funny to look back on that now. We weren't all that serious. Mainly because I had NO idea how to be a girlfriend. And all it entails, if you get my drift. I was so nervous. All the time. It had to be difficult for him. I guess that's why he cheated on me with one of my closest friends. Who then became pregnant and had an abortion. Which I believe was the end of their "affair".

It was my first experience with betrayal and heartbreak. I was devastated. I never spoke to her again. For some reason it upset me more that she would do something like that to me than the actual act of cheating. I didn't really know the "unwritten rule" back then. The last I'd heard she remarried(for the third/fourth time), and had child number two or three. I did see her in Wal-Marts several years back. That would have to be shortly after Dub was born. She is at least five years older than I am. Saying she has not aged well is putting it politely. Karma sure is a bitch.

The boy? We became somewhat cordial to each other. I think we were going to date each other again and then didn't. I can't for the life of me remember why. Obviously it wasn't too important. I did hear through the grapevine that he married a nice girl named S. They have four(?) children together and are apparently happy. I saw him at the mall last year. He looked exactly the same. Well, minus the long hair. I didn't say anything to him. I suppose I should have. We were friends once. The hurt that I once felt is long gone. Long gone and been replaced a dozen times. But still, it just felt weird. You know? Maybe next time...

No matter what, it is still a rockin' song. Even after all these years...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it sad when we someone from our past and we don't say a word to them? Sorta sad to me. :( Then again, sometimes it is best to keep the past in the past, huh?

Jenny H. said...

Danielle-lee- Yeah, it was sad. We were really good friends once. Both before and after.

The Monkey...

The Monkey...