Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Spring Is In The Air...

Most people when they think of Spring, think of Robin's or Daffodil's...but not me. To me, the first sign of Spring is baseball. When my beloved Braves report to Spring Training.

Nothing beats turning on your radio and hearing Skip Caray's voice after a long winter minus our national pasttime. He is the epitome of baseball to me. I also enjoy listening to his son, Chip. When they are both calling a game it is like a little glimpse of heaven. I was fortunate to be able to hear three generations of Caray's call a game once. It was some years ago, and the Cubbies were in town. All three Caray's sang "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" for the seventh inning stretch. It was one of the coolest moments of my life.

I love baseball. I am hopeful every year that this could be our year. I faithfully watch every game. I take my children to as many games as I can. To me, baseball is so much more than just a sport. It is a large part of who I am. My family has always loved baseball. My grandma bled Dodger Blue. So did we, for the longest time. Even after moving to Georgia. And then we found ourselves watching and rooting for the Braves. And a new tradition began.

I remember the first time my parent's took us to a Braves game. It was at Fulton County Stadium. It was amazing. Being there in person to see an actual game is just beyond compare. We ate a ton of junk food, drank a million cokes and had the time of our lives. I no longer remember who won that particular game, but knowing how we played back then it is doubtful it was the Braves! But that didn't matter, it was about being together. It was the first of many games for us as a family. And one of the first things I looked forward to after finding out I was pregnant for the first time.

And so it begins. A new tradition. My children love baseball, love going to The Ted, love eating Braves dogs. And that to me is worth more than just about anything in all the world.

So bring on the arrival of Spring. And all that it means.

Batter up!

2 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

Living in the land of the worst baseball team of all time (mark my words, they will make it to their 16th consecutive losing season this year, making it official), I can't really get into baseball. I love going to games, but can't actually watch the game. It's like watching Little League some days. Only the men playing are getting paid a lot of money to make Little League mistakes.

Go Pens!

Jenny H. said...

BBM- I totally feel your pain. That would be the Braves of twenty years ago!

It doesn't really matter to me about the winning, it is damn nice, but I just love watching the game.

And on a totally unrelated note- I can't believe how big Alexis is getting! I've been reading your blog for about six months now. Time sure flies,eh?

The Monkey...

The Monkey...